My Blog List

Saturday, October 19, 2013

过大礼过了

13 Oct 13 Sun
Our Guo Da Li date was chosen I think about 7 months back. And now, it is already over! It's scary. We didn't intentionally want any pun in the date, we just wanted a good Sunday which doesn't clash with 5 different zodiacs. And it so happened that our date was on 九月初九,长长久久!He bought his stuff from the chinese wedding shop at clementi. It is overpriced, but he appreciated the convenience and packaging. For me, I saved about half the cost by buying the stuff ala-carte from all over the world. It's the process of preparing for all these which make wedding meaningful what. So I respect the traditions and want to have these things for the wedding.

Also because I was brought up in a family which also somewhat believes in traditions, religion and the unexplained world. Since young, we religiously go to the temple every chinese new year, bai tai shui if we clash, eat vegetarian every year on vesak day, burn incense paper twice during the hungry ghost month, ask fengshui master to look at our house for better luck, wealth and health. So, I can also relate to the traditions for wedding  as I believe it can bring luck to us, but I ended up being labelled as old fashioned by my parents! Oh well.

So on guo dao li day, his parents cannot come over. I dont know why, it's a tradition. Instead, only himself and a 媒婆 should come over. His parents got his 大姑 to play the role as she knows all about these traditions. He also had 2 cousins who tagged along to see what guo da li was about so that next time they know. Haha. Besides the standard package, it is also a time for the groom to bring over the si dian jin and pin jin over. And traditionally, the bride side would have to return a portion of what the groom brought over. The bride side cannot keep everything as it would signify that the family is greedy and they are like selling the daughter; but they also cannot return everthing as it would signify that the bride is like trash and the family wants her out asap without any cost. So, middleground is good.

They came over at 10am and sat around for about 45min. It was good that his da gu came as she could really talk! She never ran out of topics to say and we never felt any awkwardness. Maybe also because I have grandmas at home who are of the generation as her. They can all talk at the same wavelength. The whole thing was over very fast. The bride wouldnt need to follow the groom home to deliver her side of the stuff. Some pictures to show for the 喜洋洋的一天!


From groom: Rock sugar, red dates, longan, some beans, dragon phoenix candles, hard liquor, cakes, rice crackers, orange, pig trotter cans, pin jin and si dian jin.


From bride: Tea set, bowl set, light set, baby prosperity set, sewing set, clogs, charcoal, red dates, longan, some beans and orange jiuce.

 
 
We are left with only 2 more months!

No comments:

Post a Comment